Monday, May 15, 2006

Da Vinci Code: Do You Think It Will Change Your Views On Christianity?

With all the buzz about the upcoming movie release of The Da Vinci Code, I thought I'd expound my philosophy about the current controversy. Everywhere Christian leaders are up in arms over The Da Vinci Code saying that the facts in the movie are incorrect and are misleading people about the truth of Christianity. Because I'm sort of a prodigal son when it comes to religion...having wandered off into many other religions and philosophies in my youth after a very trying 10th year of life, I sat up to listen intently at the last few sermons given by the minister of my church. I was pretty surprised to hear some of the claims made in The Da Vinci Code, simply because I've heard them before though not in a work of fiction. I was even more fascinated at how adeptly handled these historical inaccuracies were corrected by my thoroughly well educated minister. I've always been a keen student of history...and even beyond that an even more enthusiastic student of truth, so getting the stories straight was something I've been anxiously wanting to do...not just with the movie...but in life itself.

That aside, I am somewhat puzzled by the intense defense of Christianity that resulted from this book/movie. The reason I feel that way is because my belief is based on faith. When I chose to be baptised as a kid, I did so based on the faith that Christ is the son of God. I didn't need facts about when Constantine did anything. I didn't need to know how the King James Bible was created and what books were put in or left out. Not that these subjects don't fascinate me, but my belief in Jesus as Christ and Saviour came from the simple accounting of the Gospels and the message they give. Truthfully, if scientists revealed ireffutable proof tomorrow morning that Jesus was married, it would not change my faith because I believe he is God. I believe he lived without sin and died on the cross for my personal sins and that he is resurrected. Nothing can shake that.

I'll be going to see The Da Vinci Code, but I think I'll do it after Church!

All the best!

Bill White
http://www.synchronicity-expert.com