Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Submissive Leadership: Is It Possible?

Reconciling my Christian faith and my success is sometimes not as easy as I'd like. Throughout the good book we are reminded to be humble. The merits of being so are echoed through many verses. It is easy to lead by taking charge, barking out orders and getting things done, but, leading in a more submissive fashion takes a considerable amount of skill. The balance between being meek and a leader rather than meek and walked all over is a razor's edge.

I struggle with this one too. I've been reading a lot about the principle of being "meek." I didn't understand how you can lead and be submissive at the same time. The key to great leadership is service. When you serve, you are humble. This is what being a public servant is all about. As I get older, being the "guru" or the center of attention doesn't mean much to me. I'm not into impressing people. I'm learning more and more that people care much less about what you know and mainly care about how much you care.


People can be naturally put off by those of us who are successful. The fact is most people are "not much" people. You call them up, "Hey Tom, what's been happening?" "Not Much!" So when you talk about your success it reminds them of their lack. So it's best to tread lightly.

Networking is 100 times stronger if you spend 90% of your time asking people about themselves anyway. So it's good practice!

All the best!Bill White

success strategies